This year, Fusion Film Festival will host its Sixth Annual Student Filmmaking Competition, Fifth Annual Student Screenwriting Competition, and Third Annual Documentary Pitch Competition. The main requirement for each of these competitions is that at least one major contributor to the project is a woman (director or for filmmaking; writer or co-writer for screenwriting; director, producer, or cinematographer for documentary pitch). Fusion's goal in these eligibility requirements is to encourage women to work in roles that are often dominated by men and also to foster and promote collaborations between the genders in the process of filmmaking. Please note that there is a special category for all Sight & Sounds entrants.
Submissions will open this year on December 5, 2008 - the deadline for all submissions is January 30, 2009. Once submissions are received, each category's entrants will be judged by a panel of faculty members in the relevant field. Finalists' entries will then be judged by panels of industry professionals. The winners will be announced during the Fifth Annual Fusion Film Festival at the Documentary Pitch Competition, Student Screenplay Readings, and Student Film Screening. All winners receive fabulous prizes!
Past Industry Judges include:
- Andrew Goldman - VP Programming, HBO
- Mary Jane Skalski - Producer, Antidote Films
- Joan Scott - Founder, Writers and Artists Agency
- Kimberly Jose - Acquisitions, Jean Doumanian Productions
- Kendra Gaeta - Programming, New York Underground Film Festival
- Sky Sitney - Programming Director, Newport Film Festival
- Lauren Cornell - Director, Orcularis and Whitney Museum
- Jean Michel Dissard - Producer, Raising Victor Vargas; Down to the Bone; Gowanus Brooklyn
- Michelle Koe - Women Make Movies
- DOC: Chris White - POV
- DOC: Milton Tabbot - IFP
- FILM: Darren Goldberg - The 7th Floor
- FILM: David Title - Crossroads Films
- FILM: Betsy Forhan - MTV
- SCREEN: Ariston Anderson - Lucky Monkey Pictures
- SCREEN: Melisse Seleck - Cinema Women NY
- SCREEN: Vanessa Wagner - Original Media
- SCREEN: Susan Villa - Tribeca Productions
Past Prizes include:
- DOC: Milton Tabbot - IFP
- DOC: Jackie Glover - HBO
- FILM: Katja Esson - Director, Ferry Tales; A Season of Madness
- FILM: Rachel Chanoff - Artistic Director, Celebrate Brooklyn
- FILM: Sabine Hoffman - Editor, The Ballad of Jack & Rose; Diggers
- SCREEN: Henry Fernani
- SCREEN: John Coles
- SCREEN: Kim Jose - Acquisitions, Jean Doumanian Productions
- Pitch Meetings at Washington Square Films.
- Script Submissions accepted at New Line Cinema, Hart Sharp Entertainment.
- Equipment Rentals from Tamberelli Digital, Gotham Sound and Communication, Xeno Lights, DuAll Camera, East Coast Lighting, and Kits and Expendables.
- Film Processing and Post-Production Services from Kodak Film and Alpha Cine Labs.
- All-Access Festival Passes from GenArt Film Festival and Tribeca Film Festival.
- Software from Final Draft and Jungle Software.
- Year-Long Memberships at Anthology Film Archives, Film Forum, and Museum of the Moving Image.
- Year-Long subscriptions to MovieMaker Magazine, Creative Screenwriting Magazine, Film Comment, Script Magazine, and American Cinematographer Magazine.
- DVDs from the Criterion Collection.
- Gift Certificates from Chipotle and Lombardi's Pizza.
- Tickets to the Metropolitan Opera and New york Philharmonic.